Accounting Assistant Overview
NAI Hiffman is the largest, independent real estate services firm in the Midwest, providing leasing, management, tenant representation, capital markets, project management and marketing services for institutional and private owners and occupiers of commercial real estate.
It currently leases and manages an 89+ million square foot portfolio of more than 700 commercial properties throughout the region, with a primary focus on metropolitan Chicago. With more than 200 employees, NAI Hiffman is the Chicago-area representative for NAI Global, the world’s largest managed network of real estate service providers, with more than 6,700 local market professionals managing more than 380 million square feet of property. NAI Global has more than 375 offices strategically located throughout North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia Pacific. For more information, please visit www.hiffman.com
NAI Hiffman, Chicago’s leading commercial real estate firm and Crain’s Chicago & Chicago Tribune Top Workplace, is seeking to hire an Accounting Assistant with under general supervision, assists in all accounting functions for the Accounting Department. Tasks to include property accounts payable, accounts receivable, and 1099 processing.
- High School Diploma and a minimum of two years of higher education with business / accounting coursework
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance preferred but not required
- Requires basic knowledge of financial terms and principles
- Ability to comprehend instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to communicate to ensure understanding. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information to co-workers and/or supervisors on a one-on-one basis. Requires a high level of commitment to customer service, whether co-workers or client
- Ability to understand and carry out simple instructions in standard situations. Ability to identify and solve problems. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form
- Review batches, invoices and support submitted by the field offices for proper approvals, vendor & amount
- Post or key batches in the accounting system which have been property submitted by the field offices
- Ensure A/P records are maintained in an organized fashion on the network drive
- Print property checks as approved by accountants
- Post positive pay files to banks and review any exceptions
- Confirm checks have accurate bank account numbers and appropriate signatures
- Mail and/or distribute per special handling requests all vendor checks including attaching supporting documents as required with the payments (i.e. invoice copies for Utilities and other vendors requiring support)
- Processes management fee payments for properties
- May assist with vendor setups in property accounting systems
- May assist accountants with Corporate reimbursements
- Assist in the preparation of 1099’s including reviewing vendor data and printing of forms as well as submitting any necessary files and/or 1096’s for IRS reporting
- Deposit and post receipts for all check payments received on a daily basis
- Review bank accounts to ensure any ACH, Wire or Lockbox deposit payment are recorded on a daily basis
- Process all NSF checks in the appropriate accounting system and forward documentation on to the appropriate parties at the property so they can follow-up on payment
- Ensure A/R support records are maintained in an organized fashion on the network drive
- Obtain approvals for all monthly scheduled charges on all assigned properties
- Ensure all tenant billbacks, one-time rent adjustment and / or other charges are posted into accounting software and prepaid rents are applied to open charges prior to printing rent statements
- Enter lease abstracts into accounting systems
- Print and distribute rent statements for all assigned properties
- May assist accountants with bank reconciliations and or preparation of monthly financial entries
- May assist with supplies ordering for the accounting department and kitchen
- Assist property management team with special projects as required
- May assist with Treasury management
- Special projects as assigned by Assistant Controllers
- Other duties may be assigned
Other Skills and/or Abilities
- Demonstrate ability to work well under pressure with a proactive approach to unusual occurrences. Requires good organizational skills, attention to detail and openness to new ideas and procedures. Basic experience with computer software.
Ready to Join our Top Workplace?
SUBMIT YOUR RESUME TODAY!
Please fill out the form below.